Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"You pissed off the wrong girl with a sports blog!!"

    So today, instead of working on the final papers I need to finish to graduate from Michigan State University (which I am totally pumped about, by the way), I went on an adventure to Comerica Park with my wonderful roommate to watch the Detroit Tigers take on the Kansas City Royals. We got to the game early and was able to watch the Royals warm up. While standing on the third base line in the outfield, a family joined us, with two young children hoping to get a practice ball. Guthrie, number 11 and outfielder for the Royals was totally ignoring the children and I may or may not have said the exact quote I used for the title of this post...I was mad, but he did eventually redeem himself and toss a ball to the kids who were very pleased and now have a great baseball/Comerica Park memory.
     After watching some more warm ups, we ventured to our seats which were WAY up on the third base line, only to sit for 20 minutes and experience a rain delay. Naturally, the rain would start 5 minutes before the scheduled first pitch. Oh well, you win some you lose some. I will be attending the rescheduled game with my wonderful roommate. Regardless of being rained out, I thoroughly enjoyed my overpriced hotdog and beer.
    As I was watching the Royals warm up, I really took the time to take in my surroundings and realized how much I truly love attending sporting events. I think it is the combination of the camaraderie between fans, or the heckling of the opposing team (which I always take part in, or at times, lead), or just the atmosphere. I can't imagine what my life would be like without sports or attending sporting events. It has become like church to me. It is where I feel connected with the world around me. Nothing tops that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment