Friday, April 5, 2013

Who am I?

     So you might be asking the question, "who is this 'female sports addict'?" Well, the long and short of it is, I am just that. I am a senior college student at Michigan State University and I am a sports addict. Besides kicking ass in school and working hard to get my degree, just about all I do is watch sports or follow sports or play sports (well, play golf. I am not very coordinated).
     Over the past year, my love for sports has grown exponentially. I have always been a busy girl, without much time for myself. This year was the first year I actually had time to start doing what I wanted to do and following sports was what that was. I got season tickets to Spartan football, where I spent most of my Saturdays with my wonderful roommate in the front row of the student section at Spartan Stadium screaming at my Spartans to get it together. (You should be aware now that I have a severe dislike for Andrew Maxwell who can't seem to figure out how to run the ball.) This season, although disappointing, was a great experience I wouldn't change for the world.
     After a disappointing football season, I jumped right into Spartan basketball, which is admittedly my favorite thing in the world. I am pretty obsessed. I was able to attend three games this year with my family, having them listen to me yell and draw all attention to myself (as usual). I followed every single game of the season and watched as my Spartans had their ups and downs but I am feeling good about their future. I am definitely missing it right now. Aside from Spartan basketball, I spent my entire Saturdays all season watching college basketball, becoming familiar with all of the teams and becoming more educated about basketball, which was a really fun process.
    Another thing you should know about me, as it plays into my sports fandome, is that my dad and I aren't close. We haven't been for years and he is a great sports fan as well, probably less than me though :). He is part owner of a golf course, which I have worked at for the past 7 years. We had golf in common, but that was about it. Over this past year, we have grown closer through sharing our thoughts about sports, talking about sporting events, etc. This has especially been true throughout basketball season. As a Spartan Alumni himself, he is a passionate Spartan fan and we would spend half-time and post game on the phone with each other while I was in East Lansing and he was at home in Grand Rapids, talking about how we felt the game was going, who was playing up to par, who to watch out for on the opposing team, so on and so forth. This bringing together of people who may be extremely different is a huge reason why I am so passionate about sports.
      Sports isn't only for men or jocks. Sports can be for women too, and you will see just how passionate I am about them if you continue to follow my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment